There is something so delightful about cooking in my RV Kitchen, it’s my moment to relax and get creative while boondocking in beautiful natural spaces. While traveling, we might miss having some of our favorite meals from back home. It’s nice and empowering to learn how to make meals your way while on the road. I wanted to share some of my favorite easy and delicious boondocking recipes in this article. Also, feel free to add or substitute ingredients based on your preferences.
Stove Top Thin Crust Pizza
You don’t need an oven to bake a delicious thin-crust pizza while boondocking! This is one of my favorites when I’m missing my favorite pizzeria back home. The best part is, this is a great sharable dish that you could make in the oven as well. But for those that don’t have an oven, I wanted to share how to do it on a simple propane stove!
What you’ll need:
– 1 Flour Tortilla (8 inches or any size based on your pan size)
– Tomato or Pasta Sauce
– Mozerella Cheese or any cheese you desire
– Any cooked toppings you desire (Veggie, Pepperoni, leftovers, you name it!)
- Step One: First, heat your skillet/cast iron to medium to high heat and lightly coat it with olive oil evenly. Once the skillet is hot, place your tortilla on the skillet and wait for a couple of minutes. If the tortilla starts to puff, gently pop the tortilla to flatten.
- Step Two: Once one side is browned, lower the heat and flip the tortilla over. Add a layer of cheese, cover with a pan, and wait until it’s half melted, then add a layer of tomato sauce, more cheese, and toppings. Cover your pan with a lid, and wait until the cheese melts and the crust is browned.
- Step Three: Once done, take it off the stove, serve and enjoy your stovetop pizza!
Trader Joe’s Veggie Pasta with Goat Cheese
A tasty spin on a simple pasta dish. For fans of Trader Joe’s, pick up these ingredients on your next run to the grocery store. The great thing about this recipe is it’s easy but tastes creamy, savory, and sweet all in one.
What you’ll need:
– A pack of Trader Joe’s Spinage and Chive Linguine Pasta
– Trader Joe’s Marinara Sauce
– 5 carrots (peeled and cut in half lengthwise, then into quarters)
– Olive Oil
– Garlic Powder
– Salt & Pepper
– Crumbled Goat Cheese
- Step One: Set your skillet to medium heat, and add olive oil. Add carrots, placing them flat side face down in the pan. Cover the pan and cook for 4 minutes without stirring. Next, sautee for 3-4 minutes. Add salt pepper and garlic. Sautee carrots until caramelized golden brown. Once done, put a lid on the carrots and turn off the heat.
- Step Two: In a pot, add water, salt, and olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking. Once boiled, add your desired amount of pasta. Check and taste pasta till you get your desired texture.
- Step Three: As your pasta is boiling, bring your carrots to low-medium heat, and add your marinara sauce to the pan. Stirring till sauce is warm.
- Step Four: Drain the pasta and put it into your serving plate. Add carrot marinara mix on top of your pasta. Top with goat cheese and enjoy!
Brownie Cake in a Rice Cooker
Who knew Rice Cookers could be so versatile? You can make a simple yet delicious brownie cake in a rice cooker. It’s a great idea for a special celebration or a nice sweet treat in nature.
What you’ll need:
– ½ cup of can sugar
– 1 egg
– 6 tbsp butter
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– ½ tsp baking powder
– ¼ cocoa powder
– ½ of non-dairy or dairy milk
– 1 cup of all-purpose flower
– Frosting and toppings of your choice
(The ingredients measurements are for a 1 qt mini rice cooker. If you have a bigger rice cooker, double the ingredients per qt)
- Step One: Melt butter in a low-heat saucepan. Add sugar into a large bowl, once the butter is melted, add the butter to the sugar. Whisk for 1-2 minutes till the ingredients are fully combined. Next, add egg and vanilla and whisk all ingredients.
- Step two: With a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder and whisk until fully combined. Next, combine the wet sugar mix with the dry mix in 3 steps, alternating with milk. Whisk until smooth with no clumps.
- Step Three: Pour one cup of mixture into your rice cooker and cook for one cycle. Check if it’s done by placing a knife in the center of the cake. If it’s still not fully baked, let it go for another cycle. Once cooked, take out of the rice cooker by flipping the pan over onto a plate. Top with cake frosting or strawberries. Enjoy!